Friday, September 23, 2011

If Mercedes-Benz have some of the worst reliability around, why chew out Land Rover so much more harsh?




Lol by now I think people have figured out I'm fond of Land Rover. The only thing that I do not understand is that Mercedes-Benz have some of the worst reliability ever, but people still love them. Some Mercedes-Benz are over-priced and have horrible resale value.


When people talk about Land Rover, it has all the flaws of the Mercedes ,but seems that no matter what it gets no love.





Can someone explain this?


|||One luxury that Mercedes has is a huge marketing budget...tell people enough about other topics and the reliability issues can be pushed aside. Land Rover is much more of a niche brand that only tries to speak to a very specific customer for each of its vehicles.





It should be noted however that Range Rover Sport recently finished at the top of a resale value indicator for its category...something to think about.|||Both are extremely unreliable





I don't have much love for either|||i'm always curious - those posting answers; how many actually own any of these vehicles? reading a magazine doesn't really compare to owning.





I purchased two MB in 2006


C350 sport


CLK55 AMG Cabriolet





The cars, as far as engine, transmission --- the things actually built by mercedes are great. I have had NO mechanical problems with either car and the C350 sport now has almost 55,000 miles. The contracted out parts however, completely suck.





I've had the nav system in the CLK replaced 3 times, the entire Harmon-Kardon sound system had to be replaced once. The sony erickson bluetooth phone system installed by the dealer at sale in the C350 never worked well and i've replaced it with a parot system that is far superior. The CLK had several software issues that it had to go back to the dealer to be repaired.





All the work aside from the bluetooth phone was covered under warranty, and seems like all the bugs were in the first 6 - 12 months of ownership.





The year i bought them, an office mate gave me a hard time as mercedes had dropped to something like #46 in consumer reports and Kia or Hundai was in the top 3. I drove whatever car it was that was in the top 3 when my benz was in the shop as a loaner car and it had half the miles of the benz that was being repaired, but felt like it was being held together with bailing wire and duct tape.





I find people who rip on mercedes or rover as being "not at the top of consumer reports" being more often than not a case of sour grapes. if they could afford a benz or rover, they'd drive one too. I've driven both, and believe me - same price or four times more expensive, i will take a benz over a kia or hundae all day every day. |||You are right. But why choose either?





The problem in the mind of most people, including myself, is that both Mercedes and Land Rover are very expensive brands. For the premium price, most people would expect to get something extra for the money. But instead, they get less -- less reliability and quality. I would happily pay for pay for premium quality -- actually I do, with my Lexus -- but you don't get it with Mercedes and Land Rover. In fact, I'm not sure what you do get except for the admiration of other uninformed car owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment